Serves 4, 10 minutes preparation, 30 minutes cooking
A warming soup that is a traditional Scottish classic – it is perfect as a starter for your Burns Supper.
- 1tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 300ml water
- 250g smoked haddock
- 250ml milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley or chives
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then add onion and fry gently until transparent but not browned – this will take about five minutes.
- Add potatoes and water and bring to boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in another pan, cover the haddock with the milk and cook gently for about five minutes until just tender. Remove from the milk and, when cool enough to touch, flake gently into large pieces, removing bones.
- Add milk and flaked fish to saucepan containing potatoes and other ingredients and cook for a further 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread and butter.