Serves 8, 15 minutes Preparation, 45 minutes Cooking
Delicious steamed, roasted or stir fried, Asparagus also makes a wonderful soup. Rich, creamy and enjoyed with Crusty Bread, Asparagus Soup is healthy and fun to make!
- 450g Fresh Asparagus
- 1 small Onion
- 100g Butter
- 600ml Chicken or Vegetable stock
- Drizzle of Double cream
- Salt and Pepper seasoning, to taste
- Sprinkling of Sugar (optional)
- Chop the Onion, and in a large frying pan fry in the Butter until soft and golden.
- Chop the Asparagus into small pieces, leaving the heads whole and removing the woody ends.
- Gently fry the asparagus with the onions until softened.
- In a large jug mix the Chicken or Vegetable stock.
- Add the stock, onion and asparagus to a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add Salt and Pepper seasoning, to your preference.
- If you prefer the soup sweeter, add a sprinkle of Sugar.
- Once cooked blend the mixture until fully smooth, or with a few asparagus pieces left in the soup if you prefer.
- Serve the Asparagus Soup immediately with a drizzle of fresh Double Cream and some crusty bread.