Serves 4, 10mins Preparation, 5mins Cooking
A great twist on a classic pesto and a nice way to inject some vegetables into a simple pasta dish.
- 350g/12oz broccoli (about 1 head), roughly chopped
- 100ml/3½fl oz olive oil, plus extra to loosen if desired
- 50-100g/2-3½oz toasted pine nuts, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 50g/1¾oz parmesan cheese (or vegetarian alternative), freshly grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Drain and immediately plunge into ice water to stop it from cooking any further. Drain again and add to a blender with the olive oil, toasted pine nuts, garlic, chilli and a good grating of parmesan cheese.
- Blend to a paste to make pesto. Taste and season with salt and pepper and add more olive oil if needed to get the consistency you like.
- Serve with your favourite pasta.