Comfort food at its finest, and a brilliant way of using up leftovers from the fridge!
Ingredients (Serves 6):
- 2 tins Baked Beans
- 1.5kg Maris Piper Potatoes
- 50g Unsalted Butter
- 80ml Semi-Skimmed Milk
- 150g Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas 7.
- Peel, chop and boil the potatoes before draining. Stir in the butter and milk and mash until smooth - grate nutmeg to taste and add about 1/3 of the cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Tip the beans into an oven-proof baking tray before layering over the cheesy mash. Scatter the remaining cheese on top and then bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the beans are piping hot.
- Serve immediately with salad or cooked vegetables.
Chef's Tip! This is a great way of using up bits and pieces from the fridge. Why not fry up some bacon, onions or mushrooms and add them to the mixture?