Well-made Welsh Rarebit is so much more than just cheese on toast and it makes for a brilliant and cheap meal.
Ingredients (Serves 6):
- 350g Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 large Egg
- 2 tbsp Dark Ale
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp English Mustard
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper or Chilli Powder
- 12 slices White Bread
- Set aside approximately 50g cheese, mix the remainder with the egg, ale, Worcestershire Sauce, mustard and cayenne or chilli.
- Place the bread under the grill and toast on both sides. Spread the cheese mixture on one side of each slice and scatter over the remaining cheese.
- Place back under the grill until the cheese turns golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Chef's Tip! Planning a roast dinner? Save some leftover chicken, beef or pork and dice up and add to the cheese mixture for a more substantial mid-week dish.