Makes 3-4 jars, 10 minutes preparation, 30 minutes cooking
Our festive, Spiced Pear & Cranberry Relish is simple to prepare and is perfect for serving with cold meats, dolloping on your turkey sandwiches or even giving as a delicious home-made Christmas gift as it can last up to 6 months.
- 1 Onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2cm piece of Fresh Ginger, peeled and grated
- 175ml Cider Vinegar
- ½tsp ground Coriander
- ½tsp ground Cinnamon
- ½tsp Allspice
- 1 dried Red Chilli, finely chopped (remove the seeds for less heat)
- 4 Pears, cored with the skin left on and cut into equal-sized cubes
- 300g dried Cranberries
- Place all of the ingredients, except the pear, into a non-reactive saucepan with a large pinch of salt. Bring the mixture slowly to a simmer over a medium heat ensuring that you stir regularly to dissolve all of the sugar.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, add the pear and continue to cook until the mixture has the consistency of thick jam.
- Top Tip: Wash your jars and lids in hot soapy water then rinse well before drying them in a warm oven to sterilise them.
- Divide the hot relish equally between the jars, seal then leave to cool.
The relish will keep perfectly for up to 6 months if it is unopened and is stored in a cool, dark place. Once opened, it is best eaten within 2 months.