Serves 6-8, 30 minutes preparation, 10 - 30 minutes cooking
For a twist on traditional mashed potato try our champ that is full of flavoursome spring onions – it goes perfectly with roasted joints of meat or sausages in gravy.
- 1.35kg/3lb potatoes, well scrubbed and left whole in their jackets
- 290ml/½ pint milk
- 85g/3oz butter
- salt and white pepper
- 1 large bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until soft. Drain and remove from the pan. Leave until just cool enough to peel. Mash thoroughly.
- Boil the milk and add to the potato, together with the spring onions.
- Season the mash to taste and stir well and, for a great effect when serving your roast dinner, put the champ into a serving dish.
- Make a well in the centre and add the butter. Serve immediately.