Serves 2, 5 minutes preparation, 15 minutes cooking
This rich Chocolate Sauce is perfect for drizzling over ice cream for a simple but impressive Valentine’s Day dessert or you could even serve it in a big bowl and fresh fruit skewers as a chocolate fondue.
- 200g Dark Chocolate, the higher cocoa percentage the better
- 2 tbsp Double Cream
- 175ml Milk, whole or semi-skimmed
- 30g Caster Sugar
- 30g Butter, cut into cubes
- Add an inch or two of water to a pan then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat until the water is simmering before placing a heatproof bowl over the water with the outside of the bowl being supported by the top edges of the pan (do not allow the base of the bowl to touch the water). Break the chocolate into pieces then put it in the bowl and melt slowly, stirring occasionally until very smooth. Once melted completely, remove the bowl from the heat and set aside.
- In a second saucepan bring the milk, cream and sugar to the boil over a medium heat whilst whisking continuously.
- Once combined, pour the boiling cream mixture over the melted chocolate, whisking vigorously until the mixture is combined fully and silky smooth.
- Return the chocolate and cream mixture to the pan and heat slowly until just simmering, stirring continuously. Once it has simmered for a few seconds turn off the heat and whisk in the butter, a cube at a time - this ensures that the sauce is glossy. Once all of the butter has melted and been mixed in the sauce is ready to serve over ice cream of with a selection of fresh fruit to dip in it.