Serves 12, 15 minutes preparation, 3.5 hours cooking plus soaking overnight prior to cooking
This ham is so simple to prepare and is delicious served hot on Christmas Day along with the turkey or cold with pickles and chutney on Boxing Day or as part of a festive buffet.
- 5kg raw Smoked Ham, on the bone
- 90g Soft Brown Sugar
- 6tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
- Place the raw ham in a large, clean bucket. Add enough water to cover and soak overnight, or up to 24 hrs ahead, changing the water twice.
- Once the ham has been soaked and is ready to cook, preheat oven to 180˚C. Drain off the water then place the ham in a large roasting tin before covering tightly with foil and baking for 3 hrs.
- Once cooked, remove the ham from the oven and turn the heat up to 200˚C.Using a very sharp knife, carefully slice the rind off the ham, leaving about 1-2 cm of fat. Next, cut a diamond-shaped pattern into the fat by cutting slits one way across the ham about 2-3cm apart then repeating the process the apposite way over the ham.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and mustard, then rub all over the ham. Roast uncovered for another 30 minutes until the ham is tender and the outside nice and sticky then serve – delicious!