Grab the ice and whether you want to make a Singapore Sling or your favourite Martini, we have plenty of gins at great prices! But first…get to know your gins!!
Gin has been around for ages, yet in recent years its suddenly become so much more popular. Why is this? First, we’ve become a much more experimental nation and it just so happens that gin goes well with A LOT of different flavours. This versatility makes gin a No. 1 go-to for many people, and since the alcoholic taste of gin isn’t as pungent as that of vodka, it gets extra brownie points.
The fact that a gin and slimline tonic is becoming well-known as a “dieters’ choice” also boosts gin up the rankings. After all, as a nation of increasingly health-conscious individuals, we’re always looking for a way to simultaneously indulge yet maintain a (relatively) healthy lifestyle.
KNOW YOUR GINS
Have you ever walked down to the alcohol section and found yourself staring blankly across the vast array of gin bottles? It can be hard to choose between the many options in front of you and know what they go best with, so we usually end up choosing the bottle that is the cheapest and prettiest!
But wouldn’t it be nice to go in there armed with knowledge? Today’s your lucky day! Look at our quick and easy guide below to get to know what makes a perfect gin pairing:
JUNIPER RICH & ROBUST GINS:
- FLAVOURS: This gin has prominent flavours such as bittersweet pine, light citrus and rounded fruitiness
- EXAMPLES: Beefeater London Dry Gin, Tanqueray, Plymouth Gin
- GOES WELL WITH: Aromatic Tonic Water, Pink Grapefruit, Orange
FRESH & FLORAL GINS:
- FLAVOURS: These gins are newer and are made with contemporary methods, so have a more delicate and fragrant flavour
- EXAMPLES: Hendricks, Martin Millers, Botanist
- GOES WELL WITH: Elderflower Tonic Water, Frozen Peaches, Cucumber
SLOE & SWEETER GINS:
- FLAVOURS: These gins are infused, therefore making them sweeter – Sloe Gin is a favourite!
- EXAMPLES: Plymouth Sloe Gin, Williams Chase Mulberry & Sloe Gin, Langleys Old Tom Gin
- GOES WELL WITH: Lemon Tonic Water, Juniper Berries, Lime
CITRUS & HERBACEOUS GINS:
- FLAVOURS: These gins use plenty of citrus as well as more savoury botanicals, making for a zestly and uplifting spirit
- EXAMPLES: Bulldog Gin, Bombay Sapphire, Portobello Road
- GOES WELL WITH: Mediterranean Tonic, Star Anise, Lavender
You are now a gin expert! So, head to your nearest Costcutter to pick up your ingredients and enjoy – there are some fantastic deals in-store, so don’t miss out!